Mr. Smith has won the largest mild traumatic brain injury verdict ever awarded in the world.
Founder of the Brain Injury Law Center, Stephen M. Smith has been litigating traumatic brain injury cases for more than 40 years, while also handling other serious and catastrophic injuries throughout the United States and the world. He won the largest personal injury verdict in Virginia history and the largest mild traumatic brain injury verdict ever awarded in the world.
He has regularly and consistently obtained numerous multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts nationwide for traumatic brain injury survivors and survivors of other catastrophic injuries. He has proudly represented thousands of traumatic brain injury survivors and their families.
Frequently sought after as both a speaker and as co-counsel, he is included in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, and has consistently been featured in previous editions. Mr. Smith received the continued distinction as a 2015 Super Lawyer and has also been featured in all previous editions. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice in Virginia, New York and the District of Columbia.
He is Past Chairman of the American Association of Justice -Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, the only attorney from Virginia to ever be awarded a Diplomate status by the American Board of Trial Advocates and is a member of their national Board. He is Past President of the Brain Injury Association of Virginia, a former national board member of Public Justice, and a national board member of the Belli Society. Mr. Smith is an Adjunct Professor of Law and The Invited Litigator in Residence at The College of William and Mary School of Law.
Mr. Smith is President of the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association and is President-Elect of the American Academy of Brain Injury Attorneys. He is listed in Washingtonian Magazine Top Lawyers and is listed in Washington, DC’s Best Lawyers.
Mr. Smith is a member of the National Trial Lawyers Association Executive Committee. He is National Secretary of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America and is a member of their National Board.
Mr. Smith is a Charter Fellow of The Litigation Counsel of America. He is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and is listed in Who’s Who in American Law.
Stephen M. Smith
- – The Best Lawyers in America ~ 2015
- – Super Lawyers ~ 2015
- – President of the National of Brain Injury Trial Lawyers of America
- – Past President of the Brain Injury Association of Virginia
- – Internationally recognized expert in traumatic brain injury litigation
- – Martindale-Hubbell Preeminent A/V Rated
- – Only attorney from Virginia to ever be awarded Diplomate status by the American Board of Trial Advocates
- – Past Chairman of the Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group of the American Association of Justice
- – Licensed to practice in Virginia, New York and the District of Columbia and all other states by permission
- – Won the largest mild traumatic brain injury verdict ever awarded in the world
- – Won the largest personal injury verdict ever awarded in Virginia
- – Public Justice national board member
- – Belli Society national board member
- – Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum member
- – Listed in Who’s Who in American Law Law Dragon ~ 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- – Leaders in the Law
- – Washington Post “DC’s Best Lawyers”
- – Graduate of Marquette University, College of Health Sciences, in Neuro Anatomical Dissection of the Human Brain and Spinal Cord
- – Brain Injury Law Center – Advocates for Brain Injury Survivors and their Families Throughout the United States and the World